[ale] News: Red Hat slams into reverse on CPU fix for Spectre design blunder

Lightner, Jeffrey JLightner at dsservices.com
Thu Jan 18 11:21:55 EST 2018

RHEL was issuing both a kernel patch and a microcode update for CPUs.   It may be other distros weren't doing the microcode update.  In RHEL's reversal they say they did the microcode as a convenience but view it as the chip maker's responsibility.   The reversal was to get rid of the RHEL microcode update and take out optimizations to the kernel that relied upon it.

Maybe SUSE and others weren't also providing a microcode update.

Note that without a CPU firmware/microcode update you're not protected against Spectre but may be protected against Meltdown.