[ale] How to drive Linux browser to make a campground sniper?

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Mon Jan 15 12:52:10 EST 2018

Yes.  Read the fine print.  $40/pop just for them TRYING to see if a
site opens up.   On a $25 campsite.   If no luck you are still out $40.
Once you are retired and travel a lot that doesn't scale well.

I'm just impressed we've had several days of reasonably solid
suggestions until the discourse drifted off into the tall weeds.

Digging through the details, it looks like GreaseMonkey/Tampermonkey can
be used to drive the browser.   I have mapped out the various components
and have a strategy.  The advantage of GreaseMonkey over iMacro is
primarily GreaseMonkey forces you to understand Javascript better.
iMacro seem to require you to mostly learn iMacro.     Probably more
useful in the long run to have a better grip on Javascript.

The remaining item is what I can do inside a javascript add-on once we
detect that indeed there are sites, and now we want to email us.   I
assume there are sandbox limitations on what can be invoked.    Initial
research indicates that yes, this can be a booger.      Would it be
smarter to:

        - Have the GreaseMonkey script set a locally stored cookie which
        indicates it has a match and quit the repeat action;
        - Have a separate shell script running in the background as my
        normal linux user which looks at where-ever my Chrome cookie
        values are stored and reacts to that value being stored?

Yes, if I didn't claim to be retired, at our normal billing rates this
would have bought a lot of campsites.   But, it beats labeling all the
jars of miscellaneous nuts and bolts in the garage.