[ale] interesting problem

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Thu Jan 11 15:23:30 EST 2018

Can you confirm that this doesn't work for some reason?  (What's the
reason?)

  (cd $SOURCE_DIR && tar cf -) | (cd $DEST_DIR && tar xf -)

Also, cpio is surprisingly useful in situations like this, because you can
use the find command to feed it the names of the things you want to
transfer.

Also also, I cannot help but mention that if the stuff being transferred
has tons of huge sparse files, BSD tar is crucial.  Contrary to docs, rsync
doesn't handle sparse files the way you'd hope.  (Not the versions I tried
last year, anyway.)

  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>