[ale] Behind on your "Container Skills"

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 12:17:03 EST 2018

Pfft. This admin _wants_ to start publishing via containers. It would be
_far_ easier to deploy and update all of the tiny REST apps we have/create.
Creating a completely new VM for each new one is ridiculous.

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 12:05 Jim Kinney via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> Devs LOVE containers. SysAdmins hate them. They are difficult to manage
> for updates (toss and rebuild) and most devs pull latest-greatest libs even
> though they are all right from git repo and not checked for problems. None
> of the security checks that exist for vm control work for containers and
> they leak like screen door on a submarine.
>
> Good for development. Should be barred from production use.
>
> On January 8, 2018 11:34:07 AM EST, DJ-Pfulio via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>
>> From the article, seems most enterprises still use VMs and real hardware
>> for their production loads.  Containers are mostly used for development
>> needs, not production.
>>
>> https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/08/container_shock_not_everybody_is_doing_it/

> Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. All tyopes are thumb related
> and reflect authenticity.

James Sumners
http://james.sumners.info/ (technical profile)
http://jrfom.com/ (personal site)