[ale] Gearing up for the future (wuz: boot speed, systemd, vi vs emacs, etc)

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 12:53:55 EST 2018

I may be at fault for this weirdness.  My punctuation was poor.  In my original message on the original thread, I said:

"CoreOS, stripped down operating systems you create yourself with not much more than a boot loader and a single boot environment on the OS to run a single app with a single set of boot scripts for that single app or even micro containers over docker that run nothing but OS libraries and language dependencies required to run the app itself…nothing more…”

Change that to:

"CoreOS stripped down operating systems you create yourself with not much more than a boot loader and a single boot environment on the OS to run a single app with a single set of boot scripts for that single app or even micro containers over docker that run nothing but OS libraries and language dependencies required to run the app itself…nothing more…"

One comma and it screws my whole intent.

The guys in engineering are creating custom containers that are specifically torn down and cobbled together from a very small subset of components up to and including only a boot loader, a few scripts, and some OS & Language libraries enough to run the app.

It’s a lot harder to compromise something that has next to nothing you’re expecting to see on it.

:)

—j