[ale] Why systemd vs sysvinit really doesn't matter to me

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Sat Feb 17 13:42:58 EST 2018

I'm a huge fan of linux. Like many, if not all of the people on this list, I depend on it to put food on the table.
My first *nix system was an SCO 286 box that I ran serial terminals and UUCP access for mail and newgroups.
I've supported, to some extent, various flavors of unix from IBM, Sun, HP and even Wang Labs.
I've used linux as my exclusive desktop since 2001.
In all that time, the only constant has been change.
I've been running systems with sysvinit from that original SCO system until very recently, so I have become very used to it.
That said, I'm not going to build my own distribution and support it.
I depend on major distros, commercial and free, to support my customers, and they don't want to have to think about anything except how their systems generate revenue or otherwise support their organizations' goals.
I use my computers to provide that support, in addition to my own meager development efforts to support the integrations I do to meet their needs.
systemd was a major pita, partly because all of the vendors that I use to support my customers went for it wholesale. So I have the choice of creating a ridiculous amount of ongoing effort to do something different, or learn how to deal with systemd.
Ultimately, it works, and doesn't interfere with anything I need to do.
The learning curve is not different than any other one related to having to move off of a deprecated utility.
There are things I like and don't like about it, but it doesn't really change the character of linux enough to make me look elsewhere, so I do what I've always done, adapt and move on.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com