[ale] for all you systemd haters...

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Fri Feb 16 19:12:26 EST 2018

On 2018-02-16 16:00, DJ-Pfulio via Ale wrote:
> On 02/16/2018 04:31 PM, Solomon Peachy via Ale wrote:
>> The average joe wouldn't have noticed any outward difference beyond
>> faster boot times, <snip>
>
> Exactly when will that happen?
>
> My systems used to boot in 15-25 seconds, usually just under 20s.
>
> $ systemd-analyze
> Startup finished in 26.383s (kernel) + 13.483s (userspace) = 39.866s
>
> On systems with static IPs, networking.service takes over 20 seconds!!!
> Huh?
>
> I keep hearing systemd makes booting faster and I suppose it does for
> people with 150 LUNs, but not here.

I tried it out on one system.  It gave me a login prompt fairly quickly
(maybe five to ten seconds) but what I didn't know is that it was
holding things off in the background.  I expected to have all background
services/daemons up and running by the time I was able to log in (i.e.
presented with the login prompt) and that was not the case.  A lot of
the boot process was hidden away.  I had no idea what was going on.
Took me a while to figure out how to have all the boot messages show up
on the screen again while the boot was in progress.