[ale] for all you systemd haters...

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Fri Feb 16 15:23:53 EST 2018

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 02:52:21PM -0500, Jim Kinney via Ale wrote:
> Were it not for the work of GNU, there would be no Linux. Stallman has
> been rather clear in my recollection that a GNU/Linux name refers to
> the system as a whole. Linux refers to the kernel.

Yep.  Without GNU (the project and the GPL) Linux as it exists today
would have never come to pass.

> I think it should be proudly and loudly called GNU/Linux as long as he
> is alive and probably for years afterwards. I've fed my family thanks
> to what he started.

It's worth keeping in mind that these days only a minority of Linux
deployments are GNU/Linux.  Even excluding Android, consider how many
appliances/boxes run Linux with uClibc and busybox, ie no GNU userspace
at all.

But yeah, I owe my professional career to what Stallman started.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Coconut Creek, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^