[ale] for all you systemd haters...

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Fri Feb 16 15:16:10 EST 2018

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 02:20:38PM -0500, leam hall via Ale wrote:
> That makes me wonder; what does systemd do that non-systemd mechanisms
> cannot? Granted, it may make some things easier or more to someone's
> liking, but what does it do well that cannot be replicated otherwise?

Given that systemd uses public Linux (and/or glibc) APIs, there's
nothing it does that another tool (or set of tools) couldn't also
accomplish.

An example of something that systemd does well is logind.  Sure, you can
recreate the external service API, but replicating the functionality
"well" might be impossible without also replicating much of the systemd
functionality that logind relies upon.  Consequently, anything that
seeks to replicate logind's underlying functionality (ie session
management using Linux's cgroup features) is likely to end up looking
subtantially similar to systemd's implementation.

Are there other approaches to take?  Sure, but someone who cares has to
actually step up, make it work, and most importantly, keep supporting
it.  (That's why everyone was so happy to drop ConsoleKit like a hot
potato)

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Coconut Creek, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^