[ale] for all you systemd haters...

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 14:09:16 EST 2018

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 1:54 PM, Steve Litt via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 11:52:03 -0500
> Solomon Peachy via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 11:22:20AM -0500, leam hall via Ale wrote:
>> > I was thinking "People who actually like Linux."
>>
>> What does that even mean?
>
> It's pretty clear to me that his use of "Linux" was shorthand for
> GNU/Linux, which is a modern UNIX lookalike. The GNU part includes ls,
> tr, grep, cut, sort, and a whole bunch of other tools that "do one
> thing and do it well."
>
> The "do one thing and do it well" philosophy, when well implemented, has
> many positive outcomes:
>
> * Easy interchangeability of parts.
> * Easy troubleshooting without relying on special tools custom made for
>   specific software.
> * Easy DIY.
> * More modularity, especially with respect to encapsulation.
>
> The preceding list describes pre-systemd Unix/Linux, with contained
> exceptions such as KDE, Kmail, Gnome, and Unity, which can simply be
> excised from Linux (I removed all KDE programs and libraries in 2013).
>
> Now of course, some folks claim that systemd has all those features
> because it's "made of separate modules". Yeah, but in practice, those
> modules are very hard to remove, and almost impossible to use, alone,
> on non-systemd systems.
>
> So I think Liam was saying people who reject systemd are people who
> like concepts such as "do one thing and do it well", with all its
> positive outcomes.
>
> SteveT

Pretty sure I'm covered by "prior art" like "Linux World" conferences,
"Linux Journal" magazine, and at least a few "Linux" books". While the
GNU folks have my undying appreciation I find Richard Stallman's
insistence on prepending "GNU/" in front of everything to be sad. It
seems like someone doing a great job and then yelling at you about how
great a job they did instead of letting you look and say "Wow, what a
great job!"

Leam