[ale] for all you systemd haters...

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Feb 16 13:54:05 EST 2018

On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 11:52:03 -0500
Solomon Peachy via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 11:22:20AM -0500, leam hall via Ale wrote:
> > I was thinking "People who actually like Linux."
>
> What does that even mean?

It's pretty clear to me that his use of "Linux" was shorthand for
GNU/Linux, which is a modern UNIX lookalike. The GNU part includes ls,
tr, grep, cut, sort, and a whole bunch of other tools that "do one
thing and do it well."

The "do one thing and do it well" philosophy, when well implemented, has
many positive outcomes:

* Easy interchangeability of parts.
* Easy troubleshooting without relying on special tools custom made for
  specific software.
* Easy DIY.
* More modularity, especially with respect to encapsulation.

The preceding list describes pre-systemd Unix/Linux, with contained
exceptions such as KDE, Kmail, Gnome, and Unity, which can simply be
excised from Linux (I removed all KDE programs and libraries in 2013).

Now of course, some folks claim that systemd has all those features
because it's "made of separate modules". Yeah, but in practice, those
modules are very hard to remove, and almost impossible to use, alone,
on non-systemd systems.

So I think Liam was saying people who reject systemd are people who
like concepts such as "do one thing and do it well", with all its
positive outcomes.

SteveT