[ale] Breaking into the field [Inquiry]

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sat Sep 30 08:17:27 EDT 2017

Darrell nails it below, except ... I've never seen **any** router with
emacs.  They all have vi/vim.   Vim in the hands of a master is amazing,
BTW.

Besides that, I would only add that knowing 5 scripting languages would
be useful and concentrating on python seems to be the way of the world
these days.
* bash/sh/ksh
* python
* perl5
* awk
* ruby

New stuff is being written in python and bash.  Old stuff - and there is
lots and lots of old stuff - is in perl, awk, sh, ksh.   Ruby is useful
for Chef/Puppet and a few other things.  Ruby is OO from the start, so
it is more like Java than Python.

Perl6 has lots of great stuff, but only the experts are using it. It is
almost a completely different language than perl5. I've **never** seen
it in the wild and never seen it used for sysAdmin stuff.

C is always useful, since admins often need to compile old-school tools
for their systems.

Opinion:
Java is pretty worthless - after you learn how much it sucks and how to
deploy it. Inside an enterprise, Java is the normal language - cough -
cough - used by the internal devs.  Many good reasons for that, but it
doesn't help that it sucks RAM and CPU like no other language.  Heck,
even Rust would be a step up from Java and I hate rust.

There is 1 thing that is funny about Java ---- jRuby, which runs on a
java JVM, usually/often runs faster that way then on a native ruby
installation.  Plus, inside a corporate environment, Java has been
approved for production deployment, but ruby often has not ... so to get
the productivity of Ruby and meet the corporate standards, Ruby is often
deployed on jRuby infra.

For non-trivial internal applications, Ruby is the most productive
language I've ever seen.

Virtualization, DevOps, SecOps, and Cloud stuff are definitely the way
70%+ sys Admin jobs are headed.