[ale] Breaking into the field [Inquiry]

Darrell Golliher darrell at golliher.net
Sat Sep 30 07:42:58 EDT 2017

Sometimes overlooked are the job opportunities in higher education.  I
got my start in the University System of Georgia (specifically UGA).
 I found both the work environment and the technology community to be
nurturing.   At least when and where I started there were interesting
problems to work on and the pace and culture allowed time to learn
while practicing.

I was surprised to learn sysadmins exist who haven't learned to
program.   Some skills I consider essential.

* The ability to automate sysadmin work (i.e. being able to write software)
* Mastery of a text editor.   Better still mastery of one you can use
on a remote server (vim, emacs)
* Mastery of the Unix shell Bash or Zsh

Ok, all that said. the world has changed.   Less in demand (I think)
are old school sysadmins  I can say that; I am one).   These days
learning infrastructure as code and cloud platforms as well as CI/CD
systems will make you markable for "DevOps."    Master AWS, GCP,
Azure, CloudFormation, Terraform, Chef/Puppet/Ansible, CI/CD and I
predict you'll have great prospects.

-Darrell

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 7:37 PM, Linda Stroud <gracenewhart at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's a great article about how to land your first IT job.
>
> https://blog.howtonetwork.com/firstjob
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 11:52 AM, Arie vW <willigen.van.a at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> Some of you may know me from the Sunday meet-ups at Harry's Pizza. I am
>> looking for input on how I might land my first Linux related job. My end
>> goal is to find myself in the role of a Junior Systems Administrator
>> somewhere within a few years.
>> With no technical background, my research has indicated that I must start
>> at the bottom, ie. Help Desk. It was also recommended that I look for any
>> position within a web hosting company, since nowadays these companies tend
>> to run Linux under the hood.
>> I am striving to learn as much as I can about Linux server implementation
>> and maintenance and wanted to reach out to see if anyone had any suggestions
>> on how I might get my foot in the door somewhere, or any other insightful
>> pieces of advice.
>>
>> Thanks for you time,
>>
>> Arie

> "You Must Do The Thing You Think You Cannot Do"
> Eleanor Roosevelt

Darrell Golliher
http://golliher.net/