[ale] Breaking into the field [Inquiry]

Lightner, Jeffrey JLightner at dsservices.com
Fri Sep 22 13:00:20 EDT 2017

What is your current day job?   You might be able to find a company that does support of software used at the kind of business that you’re in now which hires people from such businesses to do front line support.   From there you might be able to move up into other roles.

In a previous life I worked in Hospitality/Accounting.   While in those roles I spent a lot of time working with the systems (i.e. high level end user for our main UNIX system) and got to the point where I was pretty much internal support for the workstations and systems and became the admin for our Novell network.   When I got burned out in Hotels I looked around and found a company that made hotel software that was hiring for their help desk.   It was a fair pay cut to go there but I was promoted within a year to the point I was making what I’d made before and on my next promotion was making more.   The roles there essentially made me SysAdmin of their main support and development servers.   My next job on leaving there was a pure SysAdmin role as have been