[ale] homebrew routers, castoff hardware

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 08:10:18 EDT 2017

Yeah, $150 or less for fanless firewall box as long as 100Mb network is all that's being filtered.  If it also needs to support free/openswan vpn and/or higher bandwidth, that tiny cpu will become the bottleneck or a fire hazard. :-)

For years I had a client that ran a small form factor pc with Linux OS as a firewall. The OS was on a CD. It was updated with patches as required with a new cd as I had a rather automated process to rebuild it. The manual part was handling the cd. I used rewritable media and had 2 disks, one in the firewall the other in the burner box (also the file server). When kernel and network patches came out, the master was patched, image burned and verified and email sent to swap disks. That ran for 15 years.

I've used a few of the tiny box devices. I prefer a normal pc in a small chassis.

On September 22, 2017 12:42:26 AM EDT, DJ-Pfulio <DJPfulio at jdpfu.com> wrote:
>On 09/21/2017 09:44 PM, Raj Wurttemberg wrote:
>> My only issue with it is that it draws 114W
>
>A 10W, fanless, machine designed just for this stuff runs $144-ish and
>should easily last 10 yrs. The 1 I use supports VT-x and the case is
>part of the thermal design.
>
>You can roll your own on it, if you like.

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. All tyopes are thumb related and reflect authenticity.