[ale] homebrew routers, castoff hardware

Raj Wurttemberg rajaw at c64.us
Thu Sep 21 21:44:13 EDT 2017

Hey  Joey,

I had an old Core i3 motherboard, an old eMachines case, and some spare
500GB drives laying around.  The only thing I had to buy was a $40 dual
Intel NIC (I prefer the Intel NIC chipset). I loaded up pfSense on it and
it runs like a champ!  It's been running for about a year now... no issues
and rock solid.  My only issue with it is that it draws 114W (I have it on
an APC UPS that shows the load). I'll eventually buy a real pfSense
firewall, but for now, this is fine.

/Raj