[ale] OT: mac osx copy

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 10:42:16 EDT 2017

Ah. The joy's of closed source, welcome to f*$%ing software jail,
apple.
'You don't' is the short answer. The license for the old OS is once per
machine, 2 per family, NON-TRANSFERABLE.
According to an analysis of the license terms (that I now can't find on
the interwebs) that hardware can be sold or given away but the
software  license is no longer valid. The new owner is required to
purchase a license even if the box came with working OS.
That screws donated hardware to non-profits.
Apple want's people to buy new stuff at least every 2 years so the new
OS is available free for new hardware (with Apple account and built in
user tracking - of course it's only used to improve products). The non-
supported versions of OSX are purged from the public space (and legals
sent to takedown unauthorized download locations as fast as they pop
up.). Old hardware is not cool enough for the turtleneck crowd.
Run Linux on the old hardware. Debian still has a ppc port. Check here
for details:
https://db.debian.org/machines.cgi