[ale] Desirable networking equipment nowadays

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Thu Sep 21 05:05:11 EDT 2017

+1 for this type of setup.  pfSense is dead easy to maintain.  OpenSense
is a fork. I've never tried it.

Avoid consumer wifi-routers. The firmware just isn't updated often
enough - even dd-wrt/openwrt/tomato aren't.

BTW, Ubiquiti WAPs aren't "hockey puck" sized.  More like a small frisby. ;)

I use an old wifi router that cannot be trusted to be internet facing as
a Guest WAP internally. Always prefer wired over wifi. Always.

On 09/20/2017 10:53 PM, James Sumners wrote:
> I very recently moved to using a Ubiquity 8 port switch (4 non-PoE, 4
> PoE) with an AC-PRO access point. My router is a little mini-ITX Celeron
> system I built that runs pfSense. This combination has been fantastic.
> I'm able to segregate IoT stuff from the rest of my network with a vlan
> and clamp it's allowed bandwidth. And once I got everything going, I
> haven't even had to think about the management software. I _might_ get
> the management dongle just for ease of use at some point, but it's
> definitely not high on my priority list.
>
> From everything I have researched, I would not recommend the gateway
> piece. Stick with pfSense. You'll have way more flexibility.
>
> On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 22:42 Ken Cochran <kwc at theworld.com
> <mailto:kwc at theworld.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hey ALE I could use some advice/pointers for some networking stuff.
>
>     I need to set-up/update networking at a home & a small office.
>
>     Probably need something like an 8-port switch for the house
>     along with wifi.
>
>     Office doesn't need but a coupla ports + wifi.
>
>     I've had good luck over the years with Asus, a RT-N16 running DD-WRT
>     and a RT-AC68P.  Both got lightning-toasted sometime back & I picked
>     up another RT-AC68P.
>
>     I was thinking of another couple of the 68Ps but recently there
>     was nice discussion here of Ubiquiti gear; maybe I should
>     be looking more into that?  Asus works nicely with DD-WRT,
>     etc. & according to DD-WRT's hardware list, so does Ubiquiti.
>     (Don't know how appropriate though I guess.)
>
>     With Ubiquiti, it looks like they separate the various
>     components, so I'd guess that per location I need a gateway,
>     a switch and a couple of those hockey-puck wifi transceivers(?)
>     No need for rack mounting.
>
>     Thoughts?
>
>     Thanks, -k

> James Sumners
> http://james.sumners.info/ (technical profile)
> http://jrfom.com/ (personal site)
> http://haplo.bandcamp.com/ (music)

Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media
centers, and servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT
professionals.