[ale] Containers... use?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sat Sep 16 05:17:35 EDT 2017

On 09/15/2017 10:30 PM, Raj Wurttemberg wrote:

> Are any of you using containers for anything? Most of my customers are
> SAP HANA (2 to 4TB of RAM and 20 to 60 CPU cores). The technology looks
> cool... I just can't find a use for it.

I use cgroups, namespaces, and chroots all the time. Daily.  Constantly.
 Right now.  I've only played with docker.

They are single use processes. No shells. No sshd.  No patching.
Limited access to most of the hostOS file system.

Is that a "container"?

I would use containers for internal software development and deployment.
I'm not ready to place them on the internet at this point. If I allowed
php webapps to be internet facing, I'd run each of them in a container
with nothing else, so WHEN they are hacked, there isn't enough of an OS
there to have a shell, no editor, and do anything except run the webapp.