[ale] Future-proofing a house for networking -- what to run?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Tue Sep 12 15:45:11 EDT 2017

This seems like it could be a bootstrap problem..  If the VM (I presume it
requires Windows?) runs on my laptop, but my laptop needs to either access
the 802.11 AP..  Or I suppose it needs to access the switch, but the
switch would need to already be working in order for my DHCP server to
respond...

I suppose if the only configuration that needs to be configured externally
would be special features, like LAG, then that's probably okay.

Losing its mind when it reboots is NOT okay.  I have a TP-Link switch
right now that I had configured for LAG to my Cisco..  Every once in a
while the TP-Link would lose its mind and stop routing traffic across to
the Cisci.  I know it's the TP and not the Cisco because I had to
re-configure the TP and re-enable the LAG config.   Don't know what was up
with that, but I just decided that having a single 1G link that didn't
fail was better than a 2G LAG that would stop sending packets at random
times.

-derek