[ale] Future-proofing a house for networking -- what to run?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Tue Sep 12 11:09:20 EDT 2017

Kyle,

Thanks for the info.  I must applogize to you -- I read your reply
before seeing the one to which you were replying.

The cameras I plan to get require 12W each (well, the power supply they
come with is a 12V 1A power supply -- so I'm ASSUMING that it will want
to draw 12W from PoE).  This means that the 250W swich can only support
20 cameras (which *MAY* be sufficient).  So that would certainly save
~$200 versus the -500W version.  On the other hand part of that 250W
probably needs to power the router itself, so it's probably fewer
cameras than that.  So I might still need to go to the 500W version for
$523.

The Cisco you list below only has 12 PoE ports, which isn't sufficient.

Question:  What is the difference between the UniFi Switch and the
EdgeSwitch?

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745