[ale] Systemd rants (was bow head)

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Sep 9 18:36:22 EDT 2017

On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 00:01:42 -0400
Solomon Peachy <pizza at shaftnet.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 08, 2017 at 10:21:10PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> > Here's how simple runit is: I built my own imitation of runit from
> > the 83 line of C Suckless Init program, the daemontools-encore
> > supervisor suite, and a few shellscripts I wrote (called LittKit)
> > that impose startup order.
>
> Congragulations; Now that you've implemented init, the next
> assignment in CS3411 is to write a coalescing malloc implementation.

Fascinating: A strawman fallacy
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man) with an ad-hominem flavor.
Strawman because nobody was discussing "coalescing malloc
implementations" nor any kind of CS course. The discussion (so neatly
snipped from the quote) was about how simple runit is, so simple in
fact that I basically bolted together a similar init out of Suckless
Init, daemontools-encore, and a few home-grown shellscripts.

> Bonus points will be awarded for showing why an implementation
> consistent with The UNIX Way (tm) doesn't exist outside a textbook.
> [1]
>
>  - Solomon

LOL, you have the [1] for reference, but there is no reference. Anyway,
the fallacy involved in your preceding sentence is the Alternative
Facts Fallacy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_facts). Runit's
consistent with The UNIX Way, as is s6, as was my homegrown init. So
are most shellscripts written by intelligent and efficient admins. From
what I've seen from using it, Dovecot is a great example of The UNIX
Way, as is fetchmail, procmail, and tools like ls, cat, sed, awk, cut,
grep, sort, make, and the like.

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2017 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
Troubleshooting Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr