[ale] please bow your head for a moment of silence...

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Sat Sep 9 00:17:53 EDT 2017

On Fri, Sep 08, 2017 at 07:28:45AM -0400, Jerald Sheets wrote:
> Rule of Clarity:
> 	Clarity is better than cleverness.

This is actually a gross understatement -- UNIX prioritized simplicity
of implementation over all other considerations, including simplicity of
interface, consistency, perforamnce, and even correctness (ie handling
all corner cases properly)

In the real world (and, I might add, that includes actual UNIXes)
"cleverness" trumps "clarity" most of the time because all of those
other considerations matter, including and especially performance.

Meanwhile, Reading down your list, I can't help but marvel that systemd
manages to hit the overwhelming majority of them.  Not all, mnind you,
but that's not terribly surprising as many of those properties
contracict with some of the others.  It is impossible to satisfy them
all.

> Rule of Diversity:
> 	Distrust all claims for one true way.

...Judge not, lest ye be judged.

> I’ll stick with what has worked extremely well for almost 50 years.

By that same token we should still have pay phones on every street
corner.  They worked great for much longer, after all.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^