[ale] Systemd rants (was bow head)

Kyle Brieden kyle at txmoose.com
Fri Sep 8 11:34:16 EDT 2017

I would argue that Nginx is MUCH closer to the "Do one thing" philosophy
than apache is.  Nginx essentially only serves up static content and
caches some of that static content in memory to serve it faster.  I
think that falls well within the "do one thing" of serving static
content.  Nginx doesn't do any server side processing at all;  you need
php-fpm for php, gunicorn/uwsgi for python, etc...  Nginx passes the
request back to those, those do the processing and hand rendered pages
to nginx, and as far as nginx is concerned, that's a static asset that
it fires out the front.  All HTML/CSS/JS assets that it serves are
static content, rendered in browser.  One could argue that nginx isn't a
"webserver" at all, although that's what it made it's name on.  It
basically only does proxy to other things that do processing and then
serves up static objects.

On that same token, the fact that it can loadbalance and have many
backends to proxy to falls well within the purview of "being good at
proxying".

Just my 2 cents.

---
Very respectfully,