[ale] Of password managers and family...

Kyle Brieden kyle at txmoose.com
Tue Oct 24 11:25:16 EDT 2017

Hey there Mike,

You ask what is wrong with them using a KeePass based method, but I feel
like I explained that already.  They aren't going to be able to manage
moving around their vault, having it open multiple places, collisions
with that, etc...  I have enough trouble with doing that on my iPad that
I use sparingly myself.  I think the biggest blocker is that the
iPad/iPhone app sandboxes things so that I can't just point it to a file
on the filesystem that some other app (nextcloud?) updates.  You have to
open nextcloud, let it sync the file, then tell the OS to open that file
with the password manager, THEN login to it, etc... that isn't something
they're going to want to do.  They are non-technical at BEST.

Sure it is simple for me, but I understand how maintaining the files
works, how syncing files works, how collisions of files will affect
things... Let's say I create a new password in my vault on my work
computer, but leave for the day without closing and saving.  Yes, that's
stupid, but it happens.  We all get in rushes.  So I go home, I create a
second new password in my vault from my android phone or iPad, save the
file up to my nextcloud server.  Then, next day, I go into work, find my
password manager open, absentmindedly close it, and it autosaves on
close.  Now my password from last night is gone.  Blown away.

Me? Sure I get what happened.  My non-technical father?  Well, this is
just stupid technology being hard, why can't I log into my site?  This
is frustrating.  I don't want to do this.  I'm just going to type in my
password again, because that's easier and who would want to hack me
anyway?

I need something that is seamless for them, and that's why I was asking
the group for help.  I sincerely appreciate the open source options and
love using them, but what you don't pay for in money, you pay for in
effort, and they have no effort to spend on it.

Someone else mentioned 1Password.  That's the 3rd or 4th endorsement for
1Password I've gotten now.  Going to give that a run and see how it
goes.

Thanks everyone.

---
Very respectfully,