[ale] Of password managers and family...

Joey Kelly joey at joeykelly.net
Fri Oct 20 21:37:36 EDT 2017

On 10/20/17 16:16, Kyle Brieden wrote:
> I completely and totally appreciate your stance on this, Joey.  My
> family don't fall into our category, though :P
>
> I can't say I trust anything that's opaque or outright blackbox myself,
> but *something* is better than *nothing*, which is what they have right
> now.  There's a reason companies like LastPass thrive.  They are trusted
> to do the hard things for people who can not or do not want to.  I
> guess, overall, what I'm asking for, is this:  "Which company do y'all
> feel is most trustworthy?"  Additionally, "Which tool is easiest to use
> so that someone who would actively avoid learning 'those computery
> things' would be willing to utilize this?"

I had pondered how hard it would be to leverage the existing Firefox
password store and code a plugin that could sync to a server. Probably
that already exists (full profile sync does exist), but I won't share my
data with fogs I don't trust, etc.. But if I could make it work, I'd end
up being a fog provider myself if I released the code (but I'd offer the
option to run your own fog server). But I wouldn't have the first clue
about coding a FF plugin :-/

--Joey

--
Joey Kelly
Minister of the Gospel and Linux Consultant