[ale] [Rant] Fedora Package Caching

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Wed Oct 4 23:02:16 EDT 2017

On Wed, Oct 04, 2017 at 09:41:56PM -0400, Joey Kelly wrote:
> I don't care/trust google, but there are a few of us little guys that
> think GPL v3 was a mistake. RMS should have stopped while he was ahead.

The GPLv3's language is _vastly_ improved over v2.  If you want to treat
it as a psuedo-GPLv2.1, you can simply waive the anti-tivoization
clauses as additional permission grants while still getting the rest of
the benefits.

> AGPL is even further down the path... why would anyone ever want to use
> further-encumbered (it works both ways, you know...) code in their products?

The folks who want to use it.. are the ones who chose to use it.  As are
those who chose to use AGPL'd software -- There's a large swath of other
uses for software than creating one's own products; indeed
most software is written/used/modified for internal use rather than as
a commercial product.

(BTW, the 'A' referrs to Affero, the organization who created that
variation of the GPL)

Meanwhile.  The GPLv3 was a direct response to two demonstrated
threats/weaknesses in the GPLv2:

 1) TiVo.  I've been _personally_ burned by this.  As in, my GPLv2 code
    shipped by TiVo.  While compliant with the letter of the GPLv2, what
    they did was very much against the spirit as it left folks with no
    ability to actually exercise their rights uder the GPLv2.
 2) JRMI -- a company took GPLv2 code, incorporated it into
    their own products, patented it, and proceeded to sue
    the original authors and other users of JRMI for patent
    infringement.  Consequently, the GPLv3 has explicit patent language
    to prevent this sort of thing from ocurring.

Aside from that, there were several other tweaks, clarifications,
and other improvements; stuff like automatically restoring rights if
infringment is resolved and allowing pass-through source code offers.

I deeply care about the principles of software freedom, and the use of
copyleft to achieve that goal -- and I put my money where my mouth is.
Consequently, I personally use GPLv3 on nearly everything I write
myself, because I consider it to be objectively superior to my other
options, especially when the two reasons listed above are factored in.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Coconut Creek, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^