[ale] shared research server help

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 21:12:02 EDT 2017

WOW, I guess I am old, I remember back in college, I had to schedule time
on the mainframe, I hate that machine but I had to use for my business
clas. If it were an Apple II or Tandy 1000, as long as lab was open, we
could use it. Just on the Tandy, had to remember the park command when
powering them down. DOS 2.5.

I was so happy I had my little Atari ST 1040, though I should have
seriously study C at the pick, instead of playing Phatasy 3.

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 6:48 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> ulimit is a way to set soft and hard limits on resource usage including
> RAM consumed.
>
> On Wed, 2017-10-04 at 17:32 -0500, Todor Fassl wrote:
>
> I manage a group of research servers for grad students at a university.
> The grad students use these machines to do the research for their Ph.D
> theses. The problem is that they pretty regularly kill off each other's
> programs by using up all the ram. Most of the machines have 256G of ram.
> One kid uses 200Gb and another 100Gb and one or the other, often both,
> die. Sometimes they bringthe machines down by hogging the cpu or using
> up all the ram. Well, the machines never crash but they might as well be
> down.
>
> We really, really don't want to force them to use a scheduling system
> like slurm. They are just learnng and they might run the same piece of
> code 20 times in an hour.
>
> Is there a way to set a limit on the amount of ram all of a user's
> processes can use? If so, we were thinking of setting it at 50% of the
> on-board ram. Then it would take 3 students together to trash a machine.
> It might still happen but it would be a lot more infrequent.
>
> Any other suggestions? Anything at all? Just keep in mind that we really
> want to keep it easy for the students to play around.

Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne
openSUSE -- Terrorpup
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want to
package and distribute , or create your own linux distro. Give SUSE Studio
a try.