[ale] [Rant] Fedora Package Caching

Joey Kelly joey at joeykelly.net
Wed Oct 4 14:58:29 EDT 2017

On 10/04/17 14:06, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Yikes! And on a LINUX group, even :-(

Hey, I like it. It ain't infected with Poettering's Disease.

But where does Darwin fit in on your timeline?

Also, NT's network stack is BSD-licensed code, you may recall.
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc, if you please ;-/

Cisco IOS is also from BSD, or was...

--Joey

> FreeBSD is the abomination license and code that allowed Apple to
> Embrace and Extend to become the triple-high walled garden that they
> are.
> I like the description from TheReg.co.uk "Cupertino idiot tax company".
> For a while it looked like Apple was going to become an open source
> darling. They had release MKLinux as an experimental distro. It was
> based on GNU micro kernel architecture, compiled for PowerPC and a full
> RedHat based distro that loaded on top. Apple was using it as a
> training ground for developers and engineers prior to OSX. Then they
> suddenly switched to FreeBSD because they are not required to release
> any modifications they make.
> It's not FreeBSD's fault except for the license that says "Here! Have
> fun! It's OK to be a profiteering dick of the work of others. We don't
> care.".
> On Wed, 2017-10-04 at 13:16 -0400, Joey Kelly wrote:
>> On 10/03/17 21:04, Ted W. wrote:
>>> Today my laptop warned me that disk space on / was running low.
>>> After
>>> investigation I found out the source was /var/cache/PackageKit. It
>>> was
>>> taking up over **24GB** of space of my 50GB root partition. 50GB!!!
>>>
>>> My first question was, what the heck is PackageKit and why is it
>>> eating
>>> half of my root partition (10% of my ENTIRE DISK)!?
>>
>> apt-get install FreeBSD && echo "problem solved"

Joey Kelly
Minister of the Gospel and Linux Consultant
http://joeykelly.net
504-239-6550