[ale] Preferred Linux under Docker?

Lightner, Jeffrey JLightner at dsservices.com
Tue May 16 14:51:38 EDT 2017

We do a fair number of containers here but have no plans on putting RDBMS in one.   However, many of those containers are making calls to the RDBMS we still have on various other servers.

Typically your RDBMS requires fairly beefy architecture so I wouldn't think they would lend themselves well to a container.

Of course there are distributed DBs like CouchDB that have their own quirks.

Also many commercial RDBMs have licensing considerations so don't lend themselves well to any kind of virtualization as vendors often want to charge you licenses for the underlying hardware rather than just the resources allocated to the RDBMS.