[ale] Preferred Linux under Docker?

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue May 16 12:00:34 EDT 2017

On 05/16/2017 10:49 AM, Pete Hardie wrote:
> IME, devs want root because company policies mean that it takes admins forever
> to grant necessary privileges, install needed accounts, etc.

I've seen where that is true. Definitely.

I've also seen when Windows people took a java class and started teaching other
people in-house. None of them fully understood the underlying OS (usually
Unix-based). They bought into the "you don't need to worry about the OS" hype
common in noob Java people. So, the shortest distance to "working" is root. Lazy
and ignorant. Java experts know better, btw. I wasn't trying to pick on Java,
but it is too easy.

How many php webapp installs say to **chmod 777**?
That's a sure sign of being lazy.

And I've seen where software vendors create install procedures that say "su -"
all the time because they simply do not care and the developers will never sit
in a client location doing the install. This happens a bunch in enterprise software.

RHEL is guilty of this too, BTW.  Plus RH **know** exactly what they are doing.
I'm not complaining about .rpm packages needing root to be installed.

As a dev, I loved version control systems. They helped me out of bad situations
a bunch and I honestly believe I've never met a non-noob developer who didn't
feel the same way.

Of course, if you give a dev access to a production system, then they become a
completely different animal.  "Done and running" is more important than anything
else, especially at 2am.