[ale] Extend file system with -r while using lvextend command

Elliot Holden elliot at elliotmywebguy.com
Mon May 8 10:31:10 EDT 2017

I found out you can extend the filesystem while extending the lvm
simultaneously. So it does not have to be in 2 separate commands. Using
the -r option or --resizefs with lvextend will do the trick. This way
you don't have to unmount the filesystem, extend the filesystem (with
xfs_growfs) and then remount the filesystem. Here is the syntax.

[elliot at newton ~]$ sudo lvextend -l +100%FREE -r /dev/rhel/home

Does any see an issue with doing this type of modification while the
filesystem is still mounted? Does anyone know if the filesystem gets
unmounted and remounted during this command while using -r ? Just in
case some other process is writing to the filesystem at the same time.
It's been brought to my attention by a member of my Perl group that you
could potentially lose data this way. So I wanted to find out if there
are any protections going on in the background while executing this command.

Thanks

E.

--
Elliot Holden