[ale] What's my job title?

Lightner, Jeffrey JLightner at dsservices.com
Mon May 8 10:01:01 EDT 2017

I think if garbage collectors can be called Sanitation Engineers the idea that "engineer" requires a license is laughable at best.

Me, I'm a Systems Administrator.   However, at different jobs that has been called:

Senior Technician

Operating Systems Programmer II (then III and finally Consultant)

Principle Systems Engineer

Senior UNIX Systems Administrator

Senior UNIX/Linux Administrator

As I've often told people over the years my basic "function" has remained the same for more than 20 years over various companies but the "function" itself has changed dramatically in that time and can vary from one company to the next.   In some jobs I've been the administrator of everything including the databases.   In several jobs it has included administration for backup solution often even for non-Linux systems.  In a couple including my current one I'm the SAN administrator as well.   I've done email administration, DNS administration,  hardware support and God knows what else depending on what the company I happen to be working at considers to be "System Administration".   I like having diverse things to work on but have always resisted any specialization that takes me from the basic operating systems administration "function".

By the way,  in my past life I did hospitality accounting and management and worked my way up to Financial Comptroller of a large Caribbean resort before moving into IT.   Despite not being a CPA (or Chartered Accountant as the rest of the world calls it) most people understood I was an "accountant" in most of those roles.