[ale] What's my job title?

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Sat May 6 14:47:38 EDT 2017

On Sat, May 6, 2017 at 1:35 PM, Michael Thornton
<mrmthorntonlinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,  I miss Atlanta.  Especially shootin' the hooch.
>
> My question: What should my title be?
>
>   I've been creating single purpose tools, that automate previously manual
> tasks.  (trying to drag the company into the 1990's, at least)  These tools
> are temporary, 6mo - 2yr, while vendors and management negotiate.  The
> company views this as sysadmin. Is it?  Any thoughts?

Do you enjoy what you're doing? What do you want to be doing in five years?

If you like what you're doing then figure out how that might play into
what you want to be doing in five years. Use that job title as long as
it's close. "systems programmer" if you want to go deeper into the OS,
or "DevOps Engineer" if you want to work towards a broader skill set.
Or whatever.