[ale] Secure Family Comms

Brian Stanaland brian at stanaland.org
Thu Mar 23 14:44:37 EDT 2017

I've had a ProtonMail account for a little while now. They seem to have
done a good job of keeping the complexity of security out of the way. If
both ends of the email are on ProntonMail then there seems to be a good
chance that it's actually secure.

Brian

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 2:33 PM, DJ-Pfulio <DJPfulio at jdpfu.com> wrote:

> Webmail over https to YOUR email server would be fine.
>
> For non-technical people on different email systems, I've used encrypted
> ZIP file attachments with 30+ character passphrases.  When it comes to
> ZIP encryption, passphrase length is VERY important since tools to brute
> force access do billions of attempts/sec.
>
> Got my accountant to do this for many years now. They seem to appreciate
> security, just needed some simple guidance.
>
> But for people we constantly communicate with and would like never to
> worry whether that is secure or not for files, emails, chats, etc.,
> there are some fairly simple-to-setup options - easier than gpg + email
> or attempting to teach them proper use of sftp.
>

> On 03/23/2017 02:19 PM, Alex Carver wrote:
> > On 2017-03-23 10:54, Jerald Sheets wrote:
> >> You know, I work for a global Infosec department, and *I* think you
> guys are a little paranoid.
> >>
> >> :-D
> >>

> > :)  Since one of my emails set off the chain I will state that the
> > intent was not for all-day-every-day encrypted connections.  It was more
> > because occasionally my parents need to send me medical or financial
> > information for either safe keeping or review.  I want to give them a
> > way to send that easily without having to run to the post office to send
> > it by certified mail.
> >
> > I run my own mail server so I can create all the addresses I want.  If
> > there was an integrated  solution such that I could simply tell them
> > "Mail the document to this specific address and it will come to me
> > encrypted automatically".
> >
> > I might just build a micro web server that has a basic file transfer
> > upload form all going over HTTPS but email would be faster and less work
> > on both ends.

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert
Einstein