[ale] Secure Family Comms

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 11:45:42 EDT 2017

On Thu, 2017-03-23 at 10:24 -0400, Dustin Strickland wrote:
> Signal bring compromised isn't even a question. WL just put out
> documents that show the CIA's capability to foil the encryption on
> all secure messaging services for mobile. They use os-level exploits
> and intercept communications before they're encrypted by the app. I
> no longer go out of my way to protect my privacy because it just
> doesn't help. They've ruined cyber security.

Not so. It's a game of "whack-a-mole". In order to bypass the device
encryption, the device must be compromised. For most devices a wipe and
reinstall periodically will reduce the threat exposure. It still does
boil down to "do you really OWN that device or are you just allowed to
use it for a fee".
For microsoft and apple users, there's pretty much no hope. Apple talks
about user security and stands up to federal demands but reserves all
real control for apple.
Microsoft makes no claims to user security and a track record that back
it.
So it's up to the Linux and BSD crowd. I can't lump android into that
if I can't get the source for all the OS stack on my phone. Sure, we
have cyanogen (or what's left of it) but getting that installed with
the "WTF DOES THIS DO?!?!?" binary blob that controls the hardware is
an unpleasant feeling.

James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain