[ale] PGP/GPG

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Wed Mar 22 14:00:02 EDT 2017

On 2017-03-22 09:20, Kyle Brieden wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> I've recently made a concerted effort to get back to using GPG keys with
> email for signing and, when possible, encryption.  I learned about it
> nearly a decade ago when I was first getting into Linux, but fell off
> when it became more of a hassle than a help.  That being said, with
> everything that is happening these days (wikileaks vault 7 drop?), I am
> more security conscious, and I am more steady-state with the devices
> that I use day to day.
>
> On my desktop, I'm using the new keybase.io desktop client, which is
> very nice.  If anyone would like more information about keybase.io or
> invites, please let me know, as I have a good few to hand out.  On my
> cell phone, I'm using OpenKeychain in conjunction with K-9 Mail.  It
> works beautifully, and has some very nice features for key
> signing/sharing etc.
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.sufficientlysecure.keychain
>  My email server uses RoundCube, which has a very nice enigma plugin
> that makes using keys much more simple.
>
> Does anyone have any good workflows for using keys for signatures and
> encryption that could help the rest of us out?
>
> Is anyone interested in a key signing event soon?
>
> Thanks!

I want to see something that is easy for my parents to use.  I use
Thunderbird for my desk client (K9 for my phone client but I don't
normally read email on the phone, just send) and I already have GPG
integration in Thunderbird via Enigmail.  However, it's a bit fiddly so
I need something that is a little easier.  I've been trying to convince
my parents to switch from solely using webmail to Thunderbird or some
other local client and then use PGP for anything really important.