[ale] Virtual Box network configuration

Byron Jeff byronjeff at clayton.edu
Tue Mar 21 13:49:15 EDT 2017

It depends if your VM is offering services or not.

If it's strictly a client machine, then configure in NAT and everything
should work fine.

If you are offering services, then there are two good routes:

1. Bridged mode will cleanly separate your VM from your machine, connect it
to the LAN and issue it a completely different IP address. The challenge
with this mode is that it is not mobile and services often get confused
when the VM suddenly pops up on a different network.

2. NAT mode with port forwarding. This mode is the same as client NAT mode.
But in addition it opens up forwarding ports between the VM and the host
machine. A bit more challenging to set up (under the Advanced button on the
network setup page for NAT) but is completely portable and will operate
properly even if the host moves between networks.

Hope this helps,

BAJ

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 01:17:47PM -0400, Jeff Layton wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> It's such a nice afternoon, I'm guessing that I'm one of the few
> still in the office :)  But i thought I would take a chance.
>
> I've worked with Virtualbox before but it's been _years_. I've got a
> Windows 10 laptop and I want to use VirtrualBox to install CentOS 7.
> The part I'm having trouble with is the networking from the VM to
> the outside world. Should I do a manual configuration on the NIC or
> should I leave it as DHCP? Also, I've seen some articles that set it
> to Bridged Mode (right now I've got it set as NAT).
>
> I've tried some various configuration and I still can't get to the
> Internet from the VM. Any suggestions?
>

> Thanks!
>
> Jeff

Byron A. Jeff
Associate Professor: Department of Computer Science and Information Technology
College of Information and Mathematical Sciences
Clayton State University
http://faculty.clayton.edu/bjeff