[ale] Update ifcfg-eth0 file from command line? (need to re-ip 50 servers)

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 20:31:59 EDT 2017

Untested, and I tend to do things in multiple steps.

cp /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 /tmp

cat /tmp/ifcfg-eth0 | egrep -iv "ipaddr|broadcast|gateway" >

echo "IPADDR=1.2.3.4" >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
echo "BROADCAST=1.2.3.0" >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
echo "GATEWAY=1.2.3.1" >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

service network restart

Main thing is to not put the backup copy in the network-scripts
directory, RHEL will try to bring up an interface like ifcfg-eth0.sav.

Hope that helps.

Leam