[ale] ALE Workshops on ...

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Thu Mar 16 09:47:38 EDT 2017

Seems we need a place and time and whoever wants to present/organize
this should work together on an outline that feeds from 1 topic into the
next.

A consistent presentation style would be useful too.

Of course, if there aren't at least 10 people who'd like to learn this,
would it be worth the effort?  Should we target how-to videos so more
people can learn over the next 2 years?

I'm willing to draw some network diagrams, if that helps describe
things. For example: http://blog.jdpfu.com/images/KVM-howto-opt.jpg

On 03/16/2017 08:58 AM, Joey Kelly wrote:
> I can help with some of that:
>
> * wiring up the LAN (but lots of other folks can handle that one)
> * security (I can rant all day about that)
> * VoIP
> * running a mail stack on a VPS
> * nerf tips and strategies.
>
> --Joey
>

>> With the success of asking for ansible presentations, thought I'd throw
>> out another request.
>>
>> Basically, a group of sessions with a road map to setup a home network
>> for all the things that homes like.
>> * Linux-based router setup/management
>> * Network security considerations (IoT, parents, gaming systems, kids)
>> * Centralized user management
>> * Backup Server on the network.
>> * Ad server black-holes
>> * Secured VPN remote access - never allow direct access internally
>> * Remote file sharing with calendars, contacts, media and files
>> (Nextcloud)
>> * Local media server for the house (Plex/Kodi/DLNA)
>> * NAS options/setups - basically an NFS server.
>> * Self-hosting options for assorted services.
>> * Telephony for the home w/ VoIP
>> * Running an email gateway on a VPS, but keeping all email internal to
>> the home network. VPN accessable, usable.
>> * Setting up client devices to work local and remote with all these
>> services.
>> * Other stuff needed at home?
>>
>> Anyone interested in working on a full solution along these lines?
>>
>> * What to buy.
>> * How to deploy it.
>> * Where we can go cheap.
>> * Where spending a little more is best.
>> * Why using most commercially sold router boxes isn't the best idea.
>> * How to maintain all these different systems, easily.
>>
>> Many of these solutions flow into what a small business needs.
>>
>> I'm not expert on all these things, but do have most of them solved.
>> That isn't to say that others wouldn't have solved them in a better way.
>>
>> I'm a little busy with the LPI stuff myself, but ...
>>
>> So, any interest?  Even just starting an outline would be helpful for
>> ALErs.

Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media
centers, and servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT
professionals.