[ale] Ansible related talks possible ?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 14:24:17 EDT 2017

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 2:15 PM, Jerald Sheets <questy at gmail.com> wrote:

> > My measly 100+ systems are all basically different systems with
> different design needs.
>
> I think we’ve reached the point in our relationship that I can suggest
> that if the above sentence is the case, there’s a likelihood you’re doing
> it wrong.
>
> (from the automation department)

To follow up on that. I have groups of "same design" systems, but even for
my one-of-a-kind systems I write an Ansible playbook. The advantages of
Ansible apply to single systems just as much as they do to a group of same
systems. I'm not a fan of YAML, but it is far easier to update a YAML file
than it is a Bash/whatever script. Plus, the playbook acts as a description
of what the system is as a whole.

Also, for the people that do, or want to, use Ansible: I have a Yeoman
generator available for bootstrapping new Ansible projects --
https://www.npmjs.com/package/generator-ansible-bare

--
James Sumners
http://james.sumners.info/ (technical profile)