[ale] Epson ET-4550 Printer Drivers on Linux?

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Wed Jan 25 07:57:55 EST 2017

Thanks.  Well, my situation - officially my wife and I have retired from
our consulting business.   Practically we will continue to handle
dribbles of client issues for several years and do a few hours of work.
And we have to do taxes.

We now have a collection of 6 printers in the house, including 1
all-in-one, NONE of which work at present.  (all have mysterious
hardware issues.)  To replace the color toner cartridges in the Dell
3100-cn and the drum which it just decided needed replacing is about
$380.  And then it might, or might not, actually print.

We figure on needing to print perhaps 300-500 pages a year for the next
5 years.   Thus a single all-in-one which does good color printing seems
to make the most sense.   With the new larger ink capacity in the below
units they both seem like they would provide 5-10 years of ink.   The
Brother is half the cost of the Epson and provides 1/4 of the ink.    We
don't much care about speed.

Buying another laser seems like an unnecessary expense at this point.