[ale] VLANs for home with a Linux Router

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Jan 3 15:36:28 EST 2017

I made a mistake. It is TP-LINK.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K4DS5KU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have "Easy Smart" and "Unmanaged". EasySmart is the one.

Here is the 8port I'm running in my office. I've not tested VLAN since I don't need it yet. I upgraded my network when I upgraded Internet so I could guantee the same level of service to the wireless clients that Xfinity Biz was delivering to my home. I went with the TP-LINK because it was Gagabit and I could use VLANs when I wanted to start up a guest segment.

The only "guest" I have is a dhcp range. Almsot all clients that live here are DHCP, but dhcpd.conf is specific configurations for them.
I have a 10 IP DHCP range for the devices I build for work based on the first 3 MAC octets. I have a 10 IP DHCP range for NodeMCU devices based on their first 3 MAC octets.

Printer, XboxOne, Kids crap, etc all are DHCP ,but will always be assigned the same address.

Was was running Cisco 2900's, but a long run of CAT-5 on them become antennas radiating in the 400Mhz region. I decommissioned them and put them in the garage.