[ale] Fetchmail IMAP backup

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Jan 3 10:14:53 EST 2017

I'm a bit confused on what I can do with fetchmail with IMAP.

I want to connect to a remote IMAP server, fetch email, but not delete them (keep). I want to do this all the time so that I can use procmail on where fetchmail is running to search these emails, sort them based on criteria.

You can't use fetchall and keep in daemon mode and I can't figure out how fetchmail knows what it has fetched in the past. The mailbox belongs to a user who needs his email and we need to automatically sort incoming email that is sent to him.

My idea is to use fetchmail on a computer to attach to his IMAP as an IMPA client, download, and process via procmail. I'll look for some criteria and then I'll send it to a perl program that will even search XLS files that are attached for criteria.

Chris