[ale] Server Set-up ?

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Wed Feb 22 16:43:38 EST 2017

Only you can decide what amount of any setup works for your needs. I say this
only because you mention Okular.

14.04 is what the tests cover, not 16.04. There are important differences.
Part of the exercise is to learn what you can and cannot do without a GUI. If
you are inside a datacenter and only have text consoles, learning how to get to
a point for a remote ssh connection to work without a GUI is important.

Servers don't have GUIs.

Servers won't have wifi either.

Dealing with NICs and putting a system with 5+ NICs onto multiple networks will
be part of the classes for the "advanced" sessions.  I intend to keep going with
the material though all the admin levels.

Much of the learning comes from NOT having a GUI and being on a console. Until
you experience that for a few hours, in the middle of the night, with a client
standing behind you, waiting impatiently and understand how to work around those
issues, your skills are NOT complete.

Often using 'tee' a bunch to capture output is an important skill to learn too.
We should never need to snap a picture or screen-grab to show non-BIOS or log
files either.

IMHO.

I've never used tmux or screen. autossh is another alternative, but not the same.