[ale] [OT] email forwarding service recommendations

Tim Watts tim at cliftonfarm.org
Mon Feb 20 11:47:37 EST 2017

Thanks for your input.  See below.

On Mon, 2017-02-20 at 16:06 +0000, Lightner, Jeffrey wrote:
> I can't answer about the forwarding service as the ones I'm aware of
> charge significantly more than $40/year.  However, I as curious what
> you meant by DNS hosting.

I just mean providing access to the DNS records.  I'm using DynDNS for
that now.  I can set the MX record (and other entries).  I suspect my
ISP (Earthlink) would reject traffic if I point it at their mail
servers.

> If you're running your own DNS servers you can point your MX record to
> any provider that allows you to do so.   That is to say you can
> control your own DNS even if you're using external mail hosting and/or
> web hosting and I highly recommend you do or at least do your own DNS
> registration.
>
> Here we do a fair number of acquisitions and have run across "hosting"
> providers that did the original domain registration and take the
> attitude they rather than the client own the domain.   Since they did
> the registration ICANN considers them the owners so you end up having
> to pay them to allow the registration transfer to your ownership OR
> sue them with the latter meaning you're going to be down for some
> time.  If you own the registration you can change which DNS servers
> you point at any time so that you can also change MX and web addresses
> without such hosting providers blocking you.

RE registration ownership.  Perhaps you can clarify this for me.

Registry Registrant ID: DYNDNS422346
Registrant Name: Tim Watts
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited

So does this mean I'm not the actual owner?  With DynDNS, my
understanding is that this effectively binds me to the "lease" of DNS
record hosting I paid for.  That is, I could move it to say GoDaddy's
servers when the lease is up (or pay a penalty).  But the terms are
completely controlled by DynDNS -- they could if they wanted to say
"Nope, it's ours and you can never move it" but I don't think that's
their current policy.