[ale] Quiet spinning drives?

Jim Kinney jkinney at jimkinney.us
Tue Feb 14 16:29:33 EST 2017

If you turn up the fan speed you won't hear the drive(s). If you run
the fan long enough like that, you won't notice the drives when the fan
runs at normal speeds

What? Speak louder!

:-)

Acer had a case with drive mounts to absorb the sound. The case was
rather dense, plastic over steel. It made for a very quiet system.  All
the fans were large - 6" and up. I think I saw it originally at Frys.
The mounting was basically a longer screw with a soft silicon grommet
that prevented direct metal to metal contact between the screw head and
the case.