[ale] Server boot speed (wuz: eth numbering range)

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue Feb 14 09:38:54 EST 2017

Nothing you don't already know.

VMs should never be free. They should be pre-paying for new HW with
replacements on 3-4 yr cycles. If the project can't afford to pay, then
it isn't important enough to get any VMs. The teams need sufficient
internal political clout to get funding.

In the real world, that is called a "business case."

My University, 30 yrs ago, had a charge-back method for computer time.
Certainly if they could do it all those years ago, it can be done today.

In the meantime, perhaps VMs need a month-by-month signature from
department heads who have limited "signatures" to give out? Limited
resources need to be precious.  While the most important things in life
are free, VMs and HW/infra to run them are not.

On 02/14/2017 08:49 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Yes. VMs do boot faster than real iron. But that actually make it worse.
> Now I have 40-80 machines stuck waiting for the real iron to boot. Not
> all vm stacks are large enough to support migrating all units away from
> a host that needs rebooting. And since the hardware is "free" for a vm,
> vms multiply faster than rabbits in a predator-free field surrounded by
> vegetable farms.
>
> I've been asked to provide a VM with 8 3GHz cores,100GB ram and 40TB
> storage to start with. I replied "what brand? Dell or Supermicro?".
>
> On Feb 14, 2017 8:12 AM, "leam hall" <leamhall at gmail.com
> <mailto:leamhall at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Isn't the move to VMs and containers resolving some of the hardware
>     boot time issues? In theory, if you have a multi-hardware-server
>     layer your VMs and containers can be moved around while a hardware
>     host boots. I'm used to 10-15 minute Oracle boots that now take a
>     couple minutes on VMs.
>
>     Leam
>     --
>     Mind on a Mission <http://leamhall.blogspot.com/>

Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media
centers, and servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT
professionals.