[ale] Server boot speed (wuz: eth numbering range)

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 08:49:17 EST 2017

Yes. VMs do boot faster than real iron. But that actually make it worse.
Now I have 40-80 machines stuck waiting for the real iron to boot. Not all
vm stacks are large enough to support migrating all units away from a host
that needs rebooting. And since the hardware is "free" for a vm, vms
multiply faster than rabbits in a predator-free field surrounded by
vegetable farms.

I've been asked to provide a VM with 8 3GHz cores,100GB ram and 40TB
storage to start with. I replied "what brand? Dell or Supermicro?".