[ale] Developer learning track question

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 08:39:00 EST 2017

On Feb 14, 2017 8:14 AM, "DJ-Pfulio" <djpfulio at jdpfu.com> wrote:

On 02/14/2017 07:51 AM, leam hall wrote:
> My glue language is Ruby but parts of the tool would likely be in MongoDB,
> Neo4J, PHP, and maybe even Go. Already using Ruby and SQLite, adding
RubyTk.

My first question would be if you need that many different languages,
perhaps
you don't have the correct hammer/screwdriver picked?  A few of the things
listed above are extremely similar and effort to reduce those dependencies
would
be useful.

+1

Use a project to expand ones skill set in a language. It doesn't matter
what it's written in, 2 years later when you're more proficient that code
will look like crap. If it doesn't, there's a different problem.

Every language has a library or modules or add-ins or what ever. It's
knowing all (ALL!) of those and how to use them, and which ones not to use,
that makes the project code much, much better.

Don't be like Redhat with 50 different languages in almost everything GUI
they
do.  KISS.

s/Redhat/gnome/g (argh! What a mess!)

Redhat is pretty much a python shop with <cough, spit>java</> for all web
gui stuff (except cockpit -python and javascript).

For the other question - just in time learning will keep the project moving
and
not get you side-tracked.  We all get side-tracked.  I can look about the
house
and see 10 started, but not finished "projects."  For things I deem really
important, I don't get side-tracked until they are finished.

A big +1! Just in time is all that's required. Keep a side list of what was
being worked on when the "Ah, Ha!" moment happened. Makes it easier to go
back later and double check the ah ha didn't also include an accidental uh
oh.

See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at
http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo